Image

Image

03 January 2015

WELCOME 2015

It's 2015 already. Sometimes, it is unfathomable to comprehend how another year is upon us, and how much has happened in the previous year. With every new year comes new opportunities, adventures, lessons, memories, and special moments. However, I always like to reflect on the previous year to understand what I've learned, what I cherished, what I regret, what I plan to do differently, and what I accomplished. I'm constantly reflecting on things that went wrong, things that went right, and things from which I can learn (and hopefully not repeat!). I find time to be a really precious gift, so I tend not to waste it. Of course, spending hours idly on tumblr is certainly not time wasted, right?! Anyway, if you permit me to share with you some precious lessons I learned in 2014, then I will gladly share with you why it was one of the fullest years yet.


1. 2014 was the year of self-discovery.
I learned a lot of things about myself, many of which I would not have known had it not have been for difficult and hard moments. Moving to Europe, completely immersing myself in a different culture, exposing myself outside my comfort zone, trying new things, making difficult decisions, saying goodbye to particular people, and finding out who I am. I understand more of what I want, what I desire, what I deserve, what my value and worth it, and most of all, what is important for me. Whether it was moving 3000 km away, closing a chapter on someone, and taking a huge leap of faith, they were all catalysts for me, because I learned more about who I am and what I like, thereby growing more comfortable in my own skin. A very difficult process, indeed, yet a rewarding one at the end.

2. People will disappoint you. 
I naturally trust people. My first instinct is to trust without apology. That being said, I am conscious of any reason should I not. So when people are not what I thought they are, not behave in hoping that it would be good for the both of us, or simply let you down, I get disappointed. Yet, as I've learned, and will constantly learn, people will not be what you expect. That can be a good thing and a bad thing, depending on how you look at it. They can either fuel your motivation to keep moving forward, to let the haters hate, and keep doing your thing, or they can drag you down. Don't let people make you feel anything about yourself that isn't true.

3. Do what you love.
I love to write, I love to travel, and I love to constantly explore the endless possibilities. I started doing that in 2014, and I will constantly pursue that in 2015, with many different ventures that will soon crystallize in my life. It is not a selfish thing to do what you love. If you love to write, pursue that passion; if you love to travel, then go somewhere you've always wanted to go. Life is meant to be lived and enjoyed fully--do whatever it is that makes you happy.

Thus, as a final hurrah to 2014, here are my top 10 moments.

1. Starting the year in Madrid, Spain


I rang in the new year with my best friend in Spain and little did I know that it prompted a major path to self-discovery. It was singlehandedly one of the most profound moments I had ever experienced.

2. Flew to Istanbul, Turkey


Given, it was a mere 3-hour layover, and sure, it might not be super important, but to me, it was. And I'll tell you why: I vowed that I would never stop travelling, never stop learning, never stop exploring, and never stop wandering. So when I saw the Bosphorus out of the plane window, I would visit Istanbul and the rest of Turkey one day.

3. Appreciating my school's unique charm and essence


My university is truly unique and special. So when I had to say goodbye when I moved to Romania, all the memories, moments, people I love, and events that happened on campus came rushing at a visceral force. Virginia Beach will always be a home to me, not because of the locations, but because of the people and the impression they have left on my heart.

4. Being a tourist in my own backyard


I hadn't been to Canada in over a year, and considering that I grew up there, it was so foreign not to be there. No matter where I am in the world, I am truly proud to be Canadian. Exploring Toronto brought a sadness to the trip, almost like a sensation that I've passed some sort of life test and that it's time to go to the next level. Weird, I know, but that's just how I felt.

5. Celebrating my first 4th of July party


I've always wanted to partake in a 4th of July party. I see all my friends posting pictures of the festivities, so I wanted to experience the hubbub once in my life (or more...). This year, it finally happened.

6. The Lights Festival in Oradea


There wasn't anything particularly special about the festival or what I do. It was simply that the entire park was covered in lights, paper lanterns, lanterns, and candles, and it was all illuminated. It was so beautiful and serene, I wondered for a moment if it was real.

7. Exploring Brasov, Romania


An enchanted gem hidden in the heart of Romania, nestled between the Carpathian Mountains and Transylvania, it was a beautiful city to explore with its unique charm and character.

8. Driving on the Transfagarasan highway and seeing Balea Lake

A serene scene at the top of a mountain.

9. Celebrating 901 years at Oradea's Fall Festival

Thousands of residents coming in from all the nearby villages with numerous stands selling vin fiert (literally translated as boiled wine, a winter delicacy in Romaina), fries, meat, kurtos kalacs (a Hungarian pastry with sweet dough glazed with walnuts, coconut shavings, chocolate, sugar, etc.), and various foods and drinks. At the end of the festival, a spectacular display of fireworks illuminated the night's sky.

10. Snowfall in Cluj-Napoca, Romania


Travelling to Cluj to see the beautiful Christmas lights, it was a lovely surprise that just as we stepped out of the car to admire the lights, it began snowing! Not just light, fluffy snow that would quickly melt in under two minutes, but the heavy, powdery snow that would last. This happy Canadian squealed in delight upon seeing the white snow fall from the sky.

So, 2014, thank you for the memories, lessons, and places. I'm ready for you, 2015.

No comments:

Post a Comment