Image

Image

25 August 2015

CROATIA & MONTENEGRO TRAVEL DIARY

Hey there. Despite my initial proposal that I would blog more frequently, I haven't. The reason behind this is quite simple: Sometimes, we get too caught up in capturing moments and photographing an event that we forget to live in the moment. That was something I promised I would do this summer (and throughout my life)--to live in the moment and take each moment as it happens. I simply do not wish to just post stuff as it happens, but to actually experience it. Therefore, my activity on any social platform has been minimized.

Anyway. I have a bit of a confession to make: recently, I haven't been itching to travel. Not really. I mean, I do like travelling and exploring new places, but for the time being, I really just wanted to be home with friends and make a thousand and one memories. However, with the approaching prospect of travelling to southeastern Europe, a region I have not yet ventured, I was really intrigued and interested. First, when people think of Europe or having a European excursion, Western Europe typically in mind. Sipping wine in Tuscany, exploring Paris, eating tapas in Madrid, or drinking local beer in Germany. That is not to say that there aren't any tourists anywhere else (because there are, trust me). It's more that it's a local treat, one that not everyone is familiar with. Croatia and Montenegro is indeed one of Europe's hidden gems. Located by the Adriatic Sea, it boasts of vivid scenery, clear turquoise waters, gorgeous beaches, and endless sun. First residing in Budva, Montenegro, I was immediately struck by the glorious beaches surrounding the coastline as the sun began to set, illuminating a spectacular sunset whilst driving to the apartment for the week.






One surely cannot tire of walking a few meters from the apartment or location of residence to the beach. I certainly wouldn't tire of the ease of plopping on a towel or chaise and feel the sun skin my skin while dipping my fit in clear blue waters. Fortunately for us, it was incredibly hot when we arrived and the temperature steadily remained in the upper '30s for the week. Whenever I would enter the water, I could immediately feel the rush of refreshment from the water, cooling my skin. Due to its saltiness, the water in Budva, near Przno Beach, is buoyant. So essentially, you could lie in the water and you could easily float, without having to worry the current will pull you away or some mysterious aquatic creature will nibble at your feet. After soaking some rays and essential vitamin D, I would trudge through the water, swim to a relatively isolated portion of the beach, and just float there, admiring the scenery before. I could recall the times I would come across a photo from Budva and wondered where I would get the opportunity to visit such a beautiful place. And there I was, in that exact place where the photo was taken. While floating in the transparent cerulean water, my eyes were fixed on the nearby islands, with its intense sepia hue, contrasting the nearby brick buildings. The abundance of colour is perhaps one of the reasons Budva is visually pleasing to the amateur's or professional's eyes: the intensity instantly flirting with your eyes, capturing your attention in a titillating fashion. 

Afterwards, once the beach scene begins to grow old (it didn't), the many pathways provided many strolls through the city, stretching from Bečići to Sveti Stefan, the famous islet. Walking on the national road, the trees provide a canopy of much needed shade, making the several kilometer trek in torrid heat surprisingly bearable. Along the way, there are old villas that have been converted into luxurious resorts that provide isolation from the rest of the tourists and beach-goers in Budva. A little slice of quiet and relaxation against a posh backdrop on a secluded beach is indeed a recipe for leisure. Arriving at a portion of the road where an astounding panorama of Sveti Stefan is present, one lingers there for a moment, drinking in the scenery and the beauty of the place. Walking along Sveti Stefan beach, it is apparent that a once prominent area of respite in a time of turmoil is now also converted into luxurious and private villas. Taking a pleasant stroll along the beach, my sister and I made a necessary ice cream break, deciding that it is the perfect way to cool down in 40-degree weather. Instead of taking the same route back, we continued along a constructed pathway beside the beach, stretching along the shoreline. Many people decided to make their own little slice of heaven, by placing a towel and soaking the sun with a grand vista of Stefan, paint the local scenery, or simply snap a few (hundred) photos of the landscape. There is this air of romance that slightly lingers in the air, one that whisks on your a whirlwind romance that entices you in such a warm embrace that the idea of leaving such a place is truly heartbreaking. The copper-toned rocks among the bright teal water as the sun is shining directly without any visible clouds is a sight that one could constantly drink yet never be satisfied. It's a futile quench, since you're constantly longing for more. Drinking a mojito or a piña colada while munching on some salty snack, quickly eating a Magnum, or indulging in a pizza. Walking slowly to take in the view. Making your way to the beach to ensure a proper spot. Stopping at the local convenience store to grab a cold drink. It never got old. A languid approach to life is something anyone could adopt, even if it's temporary. It's good to take things slow and appreciate the simple things in life. 







Next, we made a short stop in Dubrovnik, Croatia. Since it was on the way back home, it would be a shame to come all this way without stopping in Dubrovnik. I've seen all the pins and pictures on tumblr; I was aware of the beauty that Dubrovnik boasted about. Affectionately known as the Jewel of the Adriatic, it certainly lives up its moniker. Exploring Old City on quite possibly the hottest day of the summer (I think it was around 42 C), we made frequent stops at the local ice cream store, surrounded by various tourists from all the corners of the world. With plenty of travelers from Spain, Australia, Britain, France, and America, the desire to explore the famed Dalmatian Coast. With the city walls high and prominent, it is not for the faint of heart (or pocket). Unfortunately, with limited amount of time, we decided to explore the Old City without an itinerary. We just simply ventured through the countless maze of thin alleyways, discovering a quaint little restaurant along the way or a famed hostel. A labyrinth of cobblestone, narrow streets, and sun-bleached brick, it was incredibly easy to get lost, but that was part of the adventure. Coming across a candy shop or a patisserie, we continued taking pictures of the famed structures, with its churches and building dating back to the 8th century.

The next day, the last full day before the long drive back home, we decided to soak up some sun at Lapad beach before making my way to Old Town again with my father and sister. Instead of exploring the city and uncovering a corner, I was on a mission: to go to Buza Bar. Buza Bar is literally a hole-in-the-wall bar that serves nice cold beverages. However, that's not the reason why I wanted to go there. It is constructed on the edge of rocks, along the walls of the city, with stairs and bars to ensure that one doesn't involuntarily fall off the edge. So, you can sit in a chair, order a cold Coke or Heineken, and then jump into the Adriatic. Which is precisely what I did. I've wanted to do that ever since finding out that my family and I would visit Croatia. So I jumped off a large rock into the sea, feeling exhilaration as my body met the water. After doing that several times, and watching a dare devil jump from a 17 m height, I was satisfied that I finally cliff jumped. Afterwards, we went with the cable car to the top of the hill, witnessing a splendid landscape of Dubrovnik. I was genuinely sad to go home, finding myself feeling a bit of remorse that I did not have more time to explore such a luxuriant town with rich history and beautiful landscape.








So Croatia and Montenegro was definitely a change from where I usually travel. It provided unprecedented diversity, leaving me once again speechless and excited for all the places that I have yet to see. People often tell you that when travelling, the places you visit is only part of the story. That is certainly true, but that's only part of the puzzle. The rest is how you make it your own personal story. Visiting the popular tourist attractions is good because you're in a famous city with famous landmarks, but also veer off the path a little bit. Get lost in an unfamiliar city. Ask the locals where the best ice cream/drinks/whatever it is you're looking for is. Make the city your own for your time there. Experience the city with all your senses.

No comments:

Post a Comment